For some strange reason, New York City’s emergency department wants its citizens to be prepared in case of a nuclear attack. The department shared a short “Nuclear Preparedness PSA” video, but not much info was shared. The caption said, “NYC Emergency Management shares important steps for New Yorkers to follow if a nuclear attack occurs.”
WATCH THE VIDEO:
The video was viewed over 500K times. It opens with the line: “So there’s been a nuclear attack. Don’t ask me how or why, just know that the big one has hit. Ok? So, what do we do?”
Getting inside, staying indoors, and then keeping an eye on the news for more details and signing up for SMS alerts from the city are the three main things to do in the event of a nuclear attack. Additionally, residents are advised to stay away from windows and doors and move inside the buildings.
Many New Yorkers were left wondering what was going on and whether they had missed an important warning or something else related to the released video. The video was anything but informative.
The Defcon Warning System, which identifies itself as a private intelligence group that focuses on the prospect of nuclear war, however, stated on Twitter that the notification “was not in response to any specific threat.”
Mayor of New York, Eric Adams, explained that he approved of the emergency video, and that everything revolved around “preparedness” and “taking necessary steps after what happened in Ukraine.”
"*" indicates required fields
“No, I don’t think it was alarmist,” Adams said during a news conference. “I’m a big believer in better safe than sorry … this was right after the attacks in the Ukraine and OEM took a very proactive step to say let’s be prepared.”
“It doesn’t mean just a nuclear attack, it’s any natural disaster. Pack a bag, know where your medicines are located. These are just smart things to do,” the mayor added.
Adams clarified that there were numerous announcements about emergency readiness in the process, some of which were for the hurricane season that began last month.
More exciting news coming from NYC:
Former President Donald Trump was cleared of contempt charges after failing to turn over documents demanded in a subpoena by the state’s attorney general, a New York judge has ruled.
Trump’s April 25 contempt finding came after he contested a December subpoena seeking records related to his personal finances and the financing of several properties. He had no material that was responsive to the subpoena, as he claims, leading to demands by the judge and the office of New York Attorney General Letitia James that his attorneys provide detailed explanations of how they conducted their search.
Alina Habba, an attorney for Trump, said in a text message that “although we are pleased that the court has lifted the contempt finding, we maintain that it was wholly unwarranted and improper in the first place. We will push ahead with our appeal to secure justice for our client.”