The Alec Baldwin saga is not over yet, now him and three others may be facing homicide or other criminal charges stemming from the ‘Rust’ incident. In the ‘Rust’ film set shooting that occurred in Santa Fe on October 21, 2021, where actor Alec Baldwin accidentally killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza, as Baldwin’s prop gun was discharged, a district attorney in New Mexico said she could be close to charging up to four people over what happened and asked for just over half a million dollars to keep the investigation going. To continue to fund the investigation of the high-profile case, first Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies made an emergency funding request for $635,500.
Inside Edition has a video about it:
During a New Mexico Board of Finance meeting on September 20, Carmack-Altwies said that “We are within weeks, if not days, of receiving the final report from the sheriff’s office.”
While they are still awaiting reports “it’s become apparent that we will be potentially charging between one and four people with criminal charges and each of those charges will probably include some variation of our homicide statute,” she said.
Adding that while they also need to focus on other cases, she and two other attorneys from her office will remain on this case, as Carmack-Altwies said. “These cases look to be too big for just my office to handle,” she said. “We need an almost full-time attorney and someone who is very experienced on complex cases and very experienced with litigation,” she added, according to CBS News.
“The report coming in in October means we will be under the gun – no pun intended – to get moving on these cases and to get these cases charged if that is what the facts warrant,” said Carmack-Altwies. She also added that any money she doesn’t spend will be returned, saying: “It’s merely that we need it starting in October to start retaining people.”
$317,750 for her emergency request fund was approved by the board of finance.
An autopsy was done by New Mexico’s Office of the Medical Investigator last month, as well as a review of law enforcement reports, and it was determined that the shooting was an accident.
At the same time, the FBI also completed its forensics investigation, and the case was handed over to the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office, but back then, a report from Suffolk County Police Department in New York, which was working to obtain Baldwin’s phone records, was still awaited by Carmack-Altwies’ office.
At the time, this is what Carmack-Altwies said in a statement: “To date, my office has received portions of the Rust investigation from SFSO but is still awaiting the balance of supplemental reports including, but not limited to, the following: FBI firearm and tool mark analyses, forensic testing on the firearm itself, the forensic download from Suffolk County PD of Mr. Baldwin’s phone, and the pathology report from the New Mexico Office of the Medical Investigator.”
Once she receives all necessary reports, she and her team will make a charging decision, she said.
It is really hard not to believe that it really was a tragic accident, but there are many questions people deserve answers to. Let us wait and see the outcome.